Pizza Screen vs Stone: Which is the Better Baking Surface?
Not everyone agrees on the proper way to cook pizza. Some use screens and some use stones.
Even you might be wondering which one is better to use. To resolve the pizza screen vs stone debate, let us study their differences.
Your baking surface will affect the taste and overall quality of the outcome. Therefore, it is important to take that into account.
This article is all about pizza screen vs stone. Read on to find out which product would be a better investment for you!
What is a Pizza Screen?
Pizza screens are usually made of aluminum mesh.
The screen is perfectly designed to allow the proper flow of heat and air underneath the dough.
Furthermore, this structure of the screen will enable the dough to be cooked more evenly.
The crust is generally crispier when cooked on a screen. With this baking surface, you can also expect the dish to be cooked faster.
This is because there are fewer metal parts for the heat to pass through when cooking. The mesh screen allows an easier flow of heat, which also results in saving fuel and a crispier crust.
Pizza screens are generally constructed with seamless rims that allow for easier ventilation. Thus, the seamless rim will prevent baked goods from having rough edges. Hence, it makes the outcome more presentable and more pleasant.
This is ideal if you value the aesthetic appeal of your dishes, especially if you are serving it in a restaurant or a pizzeria. The purpose of the seamless rim is for secure and safe handling. It will not easily slip from your grip, ensuring the safety of you and your dish.
Furthermore, this feature allows you to clean the screen in an easy and convenient manner.
Advantages of the Pizza Screen
It is easy to wash aluminum trays. After enjoying your favorite dish, there’s no need to worry about washing. Just follow the proper care and handling of aluminum equipment to maintain its good quality for a very long time.
- Available in larger sizes, so you can create pies of all sizes.
- Very durable and harder to damage. As the material is a metal, it will not break after suffering a fall.
- Made of non-toxic material.
- It is generally more affordable. A screen can be purchased for a reasonable price.
- It boasts of resistance to corrosion, ensuring longevity.
- Offers great heat transfer. The transfer of heat is faster.
- It is lightweight, portable, and easy to carry. You can carry it wherever you want to do your baking.
- Strong and scratch-resistant.
- Has excellent thermal conductivity.
- Thin aluminum works well on the bottom crust. A screen is ideal for baking a thin crust pizza.
- Can bake faster.
- It will save you money by reducing the required wood, charcoal, or electricity.
Disadvantages of the Pizza Screen
- It can be difficult to clean the residues that get stuck in the holes.
- It is not preferable if you want soggy centers.
- You will need to keep an eye on the dough because it might get burnt.
What is a Pizza Stone?
A pizza stone is also known as a baking stone.
This piece of equipment is the most common baking surface.
This kitchen tool had been used to originally create the universally-loved dish that we know today.
It has many different types that you can choose from.
Stones are usually available in either a rectangular or circular shape. The stone can be made from cordierite or ceramic material.
The cordierite stone is a mineral that is well-known for handling extreme temperatures. It is extremely durable but also highly fragile.
While it may last a long time with regular use, dropping the stone may result in cracking and shattering. Therefore, proper handling is of utmost importance.
However, it is important to note that stones are usually heavy. On the other hand, these stones are easy to clean because of their solid construction.
It features an extremely good thermal capacity which reduces the likelihood of thermal shock. However, it is slightly more expensive.
Advantages of the stone
- It offers a traditional pizza-making experience
- It can be served as a warming platter on the dining table.
- Easy and simple to clean.
- Offers a relatively fast baking time.
- It doesn’t release strange odors.
- Its high-grade and thick ceramic is capable of faster heating. It can retain longer the heat compared to other pizza screen or stone.
- The black color of ceramic will not show visible messes.
- Ceramic pizza stones will not stain from burnt crust or grease. It always looks like new after every wash.
Disadvantages of the Stone
- It requires lifetime maintenance.
- Will break if dropped.
- Will require a longer cooking time.
- It is more expensive.
- It might require more charcoal, wood, or electricity because of the longer baking process.
Pizza Screen vs. Pizza Stone
The debate surrounding pizza screen vs stone is nothing new to pizza lovers and cooks.
It is quite common to hear people in the industry argue about the advantages and disadvantages of both products.
When you compare pizza screen vs stone, it’s significant to first know the positive attributes of each baking surface.
This will enable you to come up with the right decision on which one to buy and use.
It is important to know the pros and cons when considering pizza screen vs stone.
An informed decision will certainly help you figure out which one is a better fit for your needs. In the end, it’s hard to declare an objective winner because they produce different kinds of pizzas.
If you value crispiness and a shorter cooking time, the pizza screen will be a great choice.
On the other hand, if you’re more traditional and prefer soggier centers, you can’t go wrong with a pizza stone.