A Great Stuffed Recipe for Anybody to Try!
Pizza is the most favorite food in the United States, and meatloaf has been an all-time favorite dish as well. Put them together in a single plate, and you get pizza meatloaf – a mouthwatering dish to pep up your palate.
The name itself is as appetizing as it could be. Two of the most favorite dish combined into one, pizza meatloaf indeed sounds tasty and flavorsome.
So, what exactly is a pizza meatloaf? Is it a new style of pizza? Alternatively, is it a new variation of the traditional meatloaf?
A pizza meatloaf represents all the right things in both pizza and meatloaf.
This scrumptious dish takes after the essential ingredients of pizza sauce and its great toppings. However, instead of a flatbread crust as a base, it uses traditional meatloaf as a substitute.
Traditional Pizza Meatloaf Recipe
If you’re ready to impress your family and friends with this yummy dish.
Here’s our traditional pizza meatloaf recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Servings: 6 – 8Calories: 253 kcal per slice
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- One egg
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 yellow onion, finely chopped
- Two garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. oregano
- One 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Eight slices pepperoni
- Three olives, sliced
- 1 tbsp. chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F for about 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, ¼ cup pizza sauce, bread crumbs, egg, ¼ bell pepper, onion, garlic, and oregano.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper onto the mixture and stir to combine.
- Press the mixture into a round pan (preferably 8-inches pan) to make the base for the pizza. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine ½ cup pizza sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar. Stir the sauce thoroughly.
- Spread the sauce over the meat mixture.
- Put the meatloaf in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Take the meatloaf out of the oven. Top it with mozzarella, pepperoni, olives, and ¼ green bell peppers.
- Put the meatloaf back into the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or longer until the mozzarella melts and the meat is thoroughly cooked.
- Garnish with chopped parsley before serving.
Tips on Making Pizza Meatloaf
Aside from beef, you can also use other types of meat for your meatloaf.
Ground pork or ground chicken can also make tasty meatloaf.
Furthermore, you can also combine different types of meat. For example, you can combine ground beef and ground pork.
Alternatively, better yet, use a mixture of ground chicken, ground beef, and ground pork altogether.
For a more enhanced flavor, you can also use pork sausages. If you’re using plain pork, you can still spice it up by adding garlic, onion powder, and red pepper flakes.
As for the pizza sauce, you can conveniently buy the canned variant and use straight out of the can. However, if you prefer to make the sauce by yourself, a DIY pizza sauce is easy to do.
All you need are fresh tomatoes, garlic powder, olive oil, and salt. First, simmer the tomatoes in warm water for easier peeling.
After removing the tomato peels, make sure to remove the seeds too. Gently squeeze the tomatoes to remove excess liquid.
Put the tomatoes in a food processor, add ¼ tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp olive oil, and ½ tsp salt. Blend the mixture until it forms the sauce.
Aside from pizza sauce, you can also use the marinara sauce as a substitute for the pizza sauce.
You can find several versions of pizza meatloaf using different ingredients, cooking methods, and various forms. We’ve picked out the four most popular variations of pizza meatloaf that you’ll undoubtedly love.
Pepperoni Pizza Stuffed Meatloaf
Compared to the traditional pizza meatloaf with shredded mozzarella and minimal pepperoni, this version is packed with pepperoni and mozzarella.
More importantly, it uses ground turkey instead of ground beef for a lighter base. Moreover, it uses pasta sauce
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Servings: 10
- Calories: 345 kcal per slice
- 3 lbs ground turkey
- Two eggs
- 1 tbsp garlic powder and 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp onion powder and 1 tbsp minced onion
- 2 tsp dried basil
- parsley 2 tsp
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 450 grams mozzarella cheese cut in half lengthwise
- 140 grams pepperoni slices
- pasta sauce
Pizza Stuffed Meatloaf with Cheese
For all cheese-lovers out there, here’s a cheesy pizza meatloaf recipe loaded with your favorite cheese to satisfy your craving.
This pizza stuffed meatloaf recipe allows you to indulge in a cheesy paradise.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 70 minutes
- Servings: 6 – 8
- Calories: 253 kcal per slice
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground Italian chicken sausage
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Four eggs
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 225 grams shredded or sliced mozzarella or provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, ground chicken sausage, eggs, breadcrumbs, salt, parsley, oregano, Parmesan cheese, and pizza sauce.
- Stir the mixture to combine.
- Place the meat mixture on a loaf pan or broiler pan and flatten to make 7 x 10-inch rectangle.
- Put 2/3 part mozzarella or provolone cheese even distributed on top.
- Roll the meat to encase the cheese and shape it like a loaf. Spread pizza sauce on the surface and top it with the remaining cheese.
- Put the pizza meatloaf in the oven and bake it for 60 minutes.
Pizza Turkey Meatloaf Muffins
Another way to serve pizza meatloaf is by putting each serving on a muffin cup.
This simple pizza meatloaf recipe gives you a different experience to enjoy traditional meatloaf.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 262 kcal per muffin cup
- 2 lbs ground turkey breast
- Two eggs
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup marinara or pizza sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- olive oil (for coating)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 12 muffin cups.
- Coat each cups with a thin layer of olive oil to prevent the surface from sticking to the food.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine onion, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, chicken broth, thyme, and tomato paste. Stir to combine.
- Cook the mixture in the microwave on high setting for 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, eggs, breadcrumbs, pepper, and salt. Mix the ingredients altogether.
- Add the microwaved mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Fill each muffin cup with the finished mixture.
- Put the muffin cups in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Spread marinara or pizza sauce on top of each muffin and finish it off with shredded mozzarella.
- Put the muffins back to the oven and let it bake for another 5 minutes or longer until the cheese melts.
Meatloaf French Bread Pizza
Did you have so many meatloaf leftovers? Don’t throw them away just yet.
You can still make delicious pizza meatloaf out of these leftovers.
Just follow this simple easy-to-cook pizza meatloaf recipe.
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 10 minutes
- Total: 25 minutes
- Servings: 4 – 6
- Calories: 633 kcal per serving
- 2 cups crumbled leftover meatloaf
- 1 French loaf bread
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- One onion, chopped
- One green bell pepper, chopped
- 225 grams mushrooms, sliced
- One ¼ cups pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded CoJack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice the loaf bread lengthwise and hollow out each slice, leaving about half an inch shell.
- Apply olive oil onto the hollowed-out bread halves and lay them on a cookie sheet, with hollowed side facing upwards.
- Put the loaves of bread in the oven and toast them for 5 minutes. Take the loaves of bread out of the oven and set aside.
Place a large saucepan over medium heat to melt the butter. Add bell pepper and onion, and then cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Then add the crumbled meatloaf to heat through, while stirring gently.
- Apply pizza sauce over the toasted bread halves.
- Fill the hollowed-out loaves of bread with the meatloaf mixture. Sprinkle with shredded cheese before putting them back to the oven.Bake for 5 minutes or longer until the cheese starts to melt and turn brown
- Cut into slices and serve.
Pizza meatloaf is a simple dish that is guaranteed to make dinnertime more exciting, for you and your family.
With the Keto diet craze going on, replacing carb-crust with meatloaf is the ultimate answer for Keto practitioners to enjoy pizza.
Although you can put as many toppings of your choice, we suggest that you go easy on the toppings.
Meatloaf is already savory and flavorful on its own. A minimal amount of toppings would be enough to complement the taste of meatloaf.
On the contrary, putting too many toppings may give you a flavor-overloaded dish that may be too overpowering.
Pizza is all about the right balance and perfect harmony of each ingredient. Too much of it can put everything out of balance.
The good thing about pizza meatloaf is that there are plenty of variations that you can choose from.
If you prefer a healthier alternative, you can use chicken or turkey as a substitute for beef. Moreover, if you want a pizza meatloaf that has the authentic taste of Italian pizza, then we recommend the meatloaf French bread version.