Biscuits and Pepperoni Casserole Recipes
Pizza, as we all know it, is an Italian dish that is so well-loved in all parts of the world.
Due to its constant popularity and marketability, people have come up with countless versions of it. One of which is the pizza casserole.
What is Pizza Casserole
What is pizza casserole, you may ask?
Moreover, you’re probably wondering if it’s possible to merge two different dishes into one.
While it’s true that pizza and casserole are two different dishes, it is possible to combine all the best things of both plates. So, how are going to do that?
From its French origin, a casserole typically consists of pieces of meat (chicken or fish), rice (or noodles), flour, chopped vegetables, and potato. This dish derived its name from the cookware in which it is served, the casse, a French term for a pan.
The cookware casserole is a large, deep pan that is usually used in the oven to bake dishes. Furthermore, it is also used as a serving vessel so you can serve the recipe straight out of the oven. Just like pizza, casserole also comes in several forms and variations.
In the United States, this dish is made moist by allowing the meat and veggies to release liquids during cooking. Other liquids in the form of stock, vegetable juice, or cider are also added to give it moist consistency.
It is often cooked uncovered in the oven to achieve a moist texture that is not too soupy.
On the opposite, casseroles in the United Kingdom and Australia are more like stews that usually cooked in liquid. The dish retains all its liquid because it is slowly cooked in the oven in a closed pan.
As a result, the dish comes out soupier and has more liquid than the American version. Based on this basic description, it may seem impossible to integrate casserole with pizza. However, everything becomes probable if we try to expand the possibilities.
We can do this by adopting some essential pizza ingredients and use these to substitute other components used in casseroles.
For example, instead of using potatoes and other vegetables, we can use pepperoni, green peppers, and onions instead.
Moreover, we can substitute meat stock with pizza sauce instead. Lastly, we can tweak the usual pizza flatbread crust and use rice or noodles as the base instead.
Kids are not the biggest fans of casseroles, but they’ll go gaga over pizza. Serving pizza casserole to them will give them a burst of flavors that they’ll surely enjoy.
Not just kids, but people from all walks of life will undoubtedly experience the best from both Italian and French cuisine.
If you’re ready to spice up your usual dinnertime, here is a simple pizza casserole recipe that you can quickly whip up at home.
Pizza Casserole Recipe
Pizza casserole also comes in different variations, but we’re going to start with the primary and traditional recipe.
Although chicken and fish are the most commonly used meat in casseroles, we’ll be using ground beef to achieve the taste of pizza further.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Servings: 7 – 8
- Calories: 386 kcal per slice
- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- One onion, chopped
- Two garlic cloves, minced
- One green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup pepperoni sausage, sliced
- 170 grams of pizza sauce
- 4 tbsp milk
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Bring a pot of water to a boil then cook the egg noodles for 1 minute. It is crucial to leave them undercooked as they will be stir-fried and baked later.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium frying pan, cook the ground beef over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and green bell pepper and mix well. Wait until the ground beef turns brown.
- Drain excess oil.
- Add the cooked noodles, pizza sauce, pepperoni, and milk. Stir the mixture to combine.
- Fill a 2-quart casserole dish (either round or rectangular) with the mixture.
- Put the casserole dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Take the dish out and top it with shredded cheese. Put it back in the oven and let it bake for another 10 minutes until the cheese starts to melt.
Pepperoni Casserole Recipe
Here’s another exciting twist to the traditional pizza casserole. Moreover, by twist, we mean it.
This is because we’ll be using rotini pasta as a substitute for the egg noodles.
Moreover, to get the full flavor of Italy, we’re going to use Italian sausage instead of ground beef.
If you can’t find any authentic Italian sausage, substitute it with hamburger.
Lastly, we top it with our favorite pepperoni to finish our pepperoni casserole.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 693 kcal per serving
- 453 grams uncooked rotini pasta
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 453 grams of pasta sauce
- 340 grams of cottage cheese
- 64 grams black olives, sliced
- 340 grams mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 85 grams pepperoni, sliced
- 1 tbsp salt
- olive oil (for coating)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a medium casserole pan with a thin layer of olive oil to prevent the food from sticking to the surface.
- In a large pot of water, add salt, stir and bring to a boil.
- Put the pasta in the pot and let it cook for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a frying pan, cook the sausage over medium heat until it turns evenly brown.
- Place the cooked pasta in the oiled casserole dish to form the base. Then add the cooked sausage and pasta sauce, evenly distributing them over the pasta.
- In a separate bowl, put the black olives, cottage cheese, and mozzarella cheese. Mix well.
- Top the casserole dish with the cheese mixture.
- Finish it with pepperoni slices on top of the casserole.
- Put the pepperoni casserole in the oven and bake for 25 minutes until the cheese bubbles and turns light brown.
Pizza Casserole Biscuits
Are you looking for a comfortable and exciting way to kick up your kids’ appetite?
Check out this easy-to-make pizza casserole biscuits recipe to make a savory snack for your family.
Pizza casserole biscuits are easy to cook, and you only need four simple ingredients to make this recipe.
We won’t be using any pasta or egg noodle for the base, instead, we’ll be using refrigerated homestyle biscuits that you can buy from the nearest grocery store.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Calories: 320 kcal per serving
- 462 grams homestyle original biscuits
- 226 grams of pizza sauce
- Two slices mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 16 slices pepperoni sausage
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Coat a 3-quart casserole dish with a thin layer of oil to create a non-stick pan.
- Cut each biscuit into quarters eight pieces and evenly place the pieces in the casserole dish.
- Spread the pizza sauce on top of the biscuits and top it off with pepperoni and shredded cheese.
- Put the casserole dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes until the cheese bubbles and turns golden brown.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Pizza Pasta Casserole Recipe
It would be nice to enjoy a pizza with pasta and a casserole altogether in one go. Oh wait, you actually can!
This pizza casserole recipe allows you to indulge with the distinct flavors of pizza, casserole, and pasta in one dish.
Are you ready to make a fabulous dish for your family and friends?
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 65 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 528 kcal per serving
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 283 grams fusilli or elbows pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 226 grams mushrooms, sliced
- One medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- Two cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried basil leaf
- (1/2) tsp dried oregano leaf
- 1/4 tsp red pepper, crushed
- 396 grams pizza sauce
- 411 grams tomatoes, diced
- 64 grams ripe olives, sliced
- 113 grams pepperoni, sliced
- 340 grams mozzarella cheese, ½ shredded and ½ sliced
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare a 3-quart casserole pan by coating it with a thin layer of olive oil.
- In a large pot, bring lightly salted water to a boil. Then cook the pasta for 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat then add the mushrooms. Sauté the mushrooms until they turn golden brown. Transfer the cooked mushrooms to a separate container and set aside.
- Place the ground beef and onion in the skillet and sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic and bell pepper and continue cooking until the beef turns brown, stirring occasionally.
- Drain excess fat. Then add the pizza sauce, red pepper, basil, oregano, and tomatoes.
- Proceed by adding the pepperoni, olives, and cooked mushrooms. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring well to form the sauce.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the mixture over the cooked pasta and blend well.
- Take half of the pasta mixture into the oiled casserole pan. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
- Pour the remaining pasta mixture over the shredded cheese. Finally, place the sliced mozzarella evenly on top of the pasta mixture.
- Put the pizza casserole in the oven and bake for 35 minutes until the cheese starts to bubble and melt.
Making pizza casserole is not as complicated as it sounds. Anyone can easily cook it at home. Just follow the simple pizza casserole recipe, and you’re good to go. Moreover, don’t forget to try its other variations as well.
Later on, you can apply a bit of creativity by using add-ins or go experimental by using substitutions to the necessary ingredients.
Go healthy and use more veggies such as spinach, artichoke, broccoli, or cauliflower while you go easy on the meat.
However, if you’re a meat-lover, then you can also include cooked bacon or smoked ham alongside the pepperoni for a meatier flavor.
Of course, no one will judge you if you choose to put pineapples on your pizza casserole. What if you don’t have a casserole pan? Is there any alternative cookware in making pizza casserole?
You can make pizza casserole by using almost any sort of baking pans. You only need to adjust (increase or reduce) the number of ingredients depending on the size of the container.