Tired of regular cheese pizza? Then you must eat Mediterranean pizza because it is different from anything you have had before. Pizza is one of the most liked food in the whole world. You think Italian when you think about pizza, but the origins of pizza go back to ancient times. The Greeks and Egyptians baked a flatbread pizza and topped it with olive oil and spices. In Naples, Italy, when tomato was introduced in the late 18th century, the “modern pizza” as we know it developed. People love to eat pizza at any time of the day or even at midnight. There is no age limit for pizza lovers. Everyone loves to eat pizza from children, teenagers, youngsters to old people.
10 Interesting Things about Pizza!
- Since 1987, the National Pizza Month has officially been named in October in the US.
- In the United States, about three billion pizzas are sold per year and one billion frozen pizzas are sold additionally.
- In the United States, pizza is a market worth $30 billion.
- 17% of all US restaurants are pizzerias.
- At least 93% of Americans eat pizza once a month.
- Women are twice as likely as men to order their pizza on vegetarian surfaces.
- Some 36% of pizzas contain pepperoni, which makes it the most common topping in the USA.
- In 1738, Antica Pizzeria opened the first known pizzeria in Naples, Italy.
- More pizzas than any other time of the year are served during the Super Bowl period.
- Each person is consuming about 23 pounds of pizza on average in the United States each year.
The record for the biggest pizza in the world relies on how you shape it. The world’s biggest circular pizza was registered in 1990 at the Norwood Hypermarket in South Africa according to Guinness World Records. It measured 122 feet and 8 inches in size, weighed 26,883 lbs, and contained 9,920 lbs of the meal, 3,968 lbs. of cheese, and 1,984 lbs. of sauce. In 2005, Iowa Falls, Iowa, reported the world’s largest rectangular pizza. The 129X 98.6 feet pizza from 4,000 pounds of cheese, 700-pound sauce, and 9,500 pieces of crust, were made by the restaurant owner Bill Bahr and the team of 200 assistants. The giant pie was adequate to serve the city’s 5,200 inhabitants 10 cups each.
What ingredients does a typical Pizza have?
Pizza is a base of bread having different elements as its topping. Chicken, sausages, mushrooms, olives, cheese, vegetables are some of the basic ingredients. But you can change the ingredients according to your taste. There are several Pizza types but we will discuss the mouth-watering Mediterranean pizza.
The Mediterranean Pizza
The generic term “Mediterranean diet” derives from traditional eating practices in the Mediterranean countries. No traditional Mediterranean food is available. It borders the Mediterranean at least 16 countries. The food styles vary between these countries and also between the various regions of each country because of cultural, racial social, fiscal, geographic, and agricultural variations. Any common causes, however, remain.
Why you should try a Mediterranean Pizza?
The ultimate new family meal everyone will eat is the Mediterranean pizza recipe. This is a delicious home cooking pizza that will blow your socks off with tasty Mediterranean toppings. You would enjoy this Mediterranean pizza if you love Mediterranean dishes and never have enough flatbread or Turkish Lahmacun. This pizza will be your latest favorite with fresh tomatoes, fresh artichokes, and tasty vegetables! They are filled with fresh vegetables like onions, tomatoes, and artichoke. It is not too cheesy and has an outstanding flavor balance. The toppings may be inserted or left out to your preference. This pizza does not need a classic sauce of marinara and we use olive oil to pick up the mixture only.
The toppings are all over this handmade pizza recipe. What is fantastic is that you can add as few toppings or as many as you want. We spoke more about pizza toppings in the Mediterranean below.
What do you like to use for PIZZA DOUGH?
If it’s homemade or in-shop, you can use any pizza dough or crust you want. I still like homemade pizzas and this homemade pizza dough is my favorite recipe. New pizza dough can be bought from a bakery or pizza selected in advance. However, if you are a vegan, be sure to check does pizza dough have eggs, before purchasing it.
There’s no big difference, to be honest, between flatbread and pizza. Flatbread is typically thick on the sides and thinner overall, whilst Mediterranean pizza is more fluffy and chewy on the edges. All are really delicious and newly wrapped.
Mediterranean Pizza Recipe
Instructions are for 1 serving. Please modify as needed.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Start by making the crust. Crack eggs into a medium-sized bowl and add shredded cheese. Give it a good stir to combine.
- Use a spatula to spread the cheese and egg batter on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You can form two circles or just make one large rectangular pizza. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until the pizza crust turns golden. Remove and let cool for a minute or two.
- Increase the oven temperature to 450 F (225 C).
- Spread tomato sauce on the crust and sprinkle oregano on top. Top with cheese and place the pepperoni and olives on top.
- Bake for another 5-10 minutes or until the pizza has turned a golden brown color.
- Serve with a fresh salad on the side.
- 2 eggs
- cup (3 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened tomato sauce
- tsp dried oregano
- 2⁄3 cup (3 oz.) shredded provolone cheese
- oz. pepperoni
- 1 oz. ( cup) leafy greens
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper