You are in the mood for a pizza, you are thinking what kind, then there is a thought of the styles of pizza that flickers around, the thought the famous Chicago Style formalizes. There is now no need to go to Chicago to enjoy a delicious Chicago Style Pizza when you can make it easily at your home. Chicago’s famous deep-dish pizza recipe is revered as a delicious native invention in the city of Chicago. Everything can make this pizza damn amazing and special. It’s way more than a traditional pizza you eat regularly.
Chicago style pizza is baked in a deep-dish pizza pan, you can find the pan here that I am so comfortable using for my pizza baking. The crust has an unusual tender/flaky texture with a great taste — courtesy of three fat types: olive oil, butter, and vegetable oil. Its buttery crust makes it unique from others. The pizza sauce is incredibly thick, slightly sweet, and wonderfully flavorful.
Recipe for Chicago Style Deep-Dish Pizza
Here’s a step by step guide to making a perfect Chicago Style Pizza with complete guidance to make perfect sweet tomato sauce and buttery crust. It can be easily customizable to your favorite toppings.
Cooking time: 2 hours 35 minutes
Servings: 12 (two small pizzas or 1 large pizza)
- 2 3/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons lukewarm water
- 4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or salad oil
- 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for drizzling
- 3/4 lbs. mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 cup Parmesan or Asiago cheese, grated
- 1 lb. Italian sweet or hot sausage, cooked and sliced; or about 3 cups of your favorite sautéed vegetables
- Mixed dried Italian herbs like basil, oregano, rosemary, to taste or 1 to 2 teaspoons Pizza Seasoning
- 28-oz can plum tomatoes, lightly crushed
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- Combine together all the crust ingredients and knead by using your hands until you have a smooth dough. If using a stand mixer, it may take 6 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl and let it rest for an hour until risen.
- Meanwhile, prepare your deep-dish pizza pan (14″) and grease it using a non-stick vegetable oil spray.
- Now add 3 to 4 tablespoons of olive oil into a pan and tilt it until it covers the pan’s bottom and sides.
- On a lightly oiled flat surface, stretch the dough into a large circle and lay in the prepared pan, stretching the dough towards the edges of the pan and leave for 15 minutes.
- Continue with stretching the dough towards the edges and push it up the pan sides. Leave for another 15 minutes, then bake for 10 minutes in a preheated oven at 425°F.
- Meanwhile, drain the tomatoes, combine with herbs or pizza seasoning, sugar, and minced garlic.
- Add in salt, to taste but skip if using pizza seasoning as it is already salty.
- Top crust with sliced mozzarella cheese, fanning into the crust followed by sautéed vegetables or sausage and tomato mixture on top.
- Now top with grated parmesan and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake until golden brown, for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Once done, take it out and let it cool before serving.
With this easy Chicago style pizza recipe, you can enjoy your every weekend or next gathering with friends and family. Double the recipe ingredients if you are making for a huge gathering!